Friday, August 21, 2009

Get Excited, Get Involved, Get an Umbrella

Orientation has been going on in full force for the last 2 days. It's been non-stop meetings and trainings and I think all of the incoming class is feeling the effects of information overload. Undergraduate orientation was definitely more geared towards how to be an adult, a student, and a part of a community. Graduate orientation, I'm learning, it more about nuts and bolts. Here's the library. Here's the bookstore. Here's a bill for $80,000 dollars. Oh, and you probably won't graduate on time. I think the most practical advice I've received so far is "Get Excited. Get Involved. Get an Umbrella."  This was during the SPH SGA president welcome address where he welcomed us to the "Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Storms".  But he was right--not a day has passed yet where it hasn't rained.

My parents left on Tuesday and I'm definitely feeling a tiny bit homesick. I realize how far away from home I am every time I watch the weather map. New York is just so far from here! Before they left we did have the chance to set up my apartment and get me settled into my new place. I'm living in an on-campus apartment and it's hard to ignore the dorm-ish feel of it all. Linoleum, fire proof doors (not complaining about that one--they're just heavy!), industrial furniture, etc. It does have build in AC though that I can regulate, so thats a huge plus. Pictures will be coming soon! We made it as "homey" as we could.

New Orleans has been great so far, although I haven't seen much outside of the French Quarter. The music and food have just been overwhelmingly good. Everywhere you go there is a show, a new dish to try, and a bar. It's a good thing I have to start studying next week or I'd wind up gaining 50lbs by September 1. 

Still registering for classes and trying to get all of those details worked out. I think I have my schedule finalized, but will have more details at the end of next week, once my classes have begun in full force. I know I'm definitely taking epidemiology and am not looking forward to it!

So begins my first weekend in New Orleans. I'll keep you all posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment