Well, I'm one week in and I'm busier than I thought I would be! My classes are going great, despite being a TON of work. I'm absolutely loving Contemporary Issues in Maternal and Child Health. It's just a great feeling to be in an environment where people care so much about health care in our communities and want to discuss all of its facets.
Health care has been in the media a lot lately, and while I'm frustrated by so much of what I hear, I'm excited to be on the front lines of a national issue. We will define ourselves as a country by how we deal with this issue. It's huge and it's going to take a lot of change and a lot of hard work, but we can't continue to allow our neighbors to suffer without the care they need and deserve.
(Steps off soap box...)
Outside of school things are also going well. I've met a great group of friends and am truly having a wonderful time here in the sunny, sunny south. Things are SO different from the north that I feel like I'm still in culture shock after 3 weeks. Somethings, however, are coming to me fairly easily. For instance, today it was 90 and I wore jeans! It's sooooo cold in the buildings here it is absurd. My own apartment is so cold that I keep a down blanket and a sweatshirt in my living room. The building I live in requires you to keep the AC on year round to prevent mold from growing in the stagnant, moist air. Gross.
Somethings I'm fairly certain I'll never get used to. The top of the list? Roaches. Once it becomes dusk they skitter around the streets with the nastiest little clicking sound. For the first week I didn't know enough to look down while I was walking, but now I'm keenly aware of where I'm stepping. The roaches are HUGE. Each are at least an inch long, some are longer.
Each day continues to be a new adventure. It's been hard to remember to update this when I get home from the library at night, but I'm going to try harder!
Hope all is well up north. :)
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment