Yesterday I went into the bathroom to find a puddle on the floor. Thinking I must have dripped after my shower, I ignored the puddle and continued on. Then this morning I flushed the toilet and found another puddle. And a leak coming from under the toilet. And a stream of water pouring from the back of the tank. Completely unamused, heading out the door to the library, and thoroughly disgusted I stopped by the security desk to ask to have someone come fix it. The conversation went something like this:
"My toilet seems to be leaking... is there someone I can call to have it fixed?"
"Today?"
"Yes, please."
"Um, no."
Silence.
"Oh, um, then what am I supposed to do?"
"Did you turn it off?"
"No. I don't know how to do that."
And then the security guard looked at me. Stared really. Up and down. And said "You don't know how to turn off a toilet?" and gave me the worst look. Like I was an idiot! I was furious. It is one thing to not help me (I get it... it's a holiday...) but to also make me feel stupid? I was NOT amused. But, after a tutorial I did in fact learn how to turn off the toilet and felt pretty accomplished. Life lesson #1.
Finally, 25 minutes after trying to leave I make it to the library. I sit down and start to unpack. My cell phone rings. It's a Tulane #. Sigh. I answer.
"You need to come back. There is someone at your room to fix your toilet."
AMAZING! I go home, let the man in, try to act as NICE as humanely possible since it is a holiday, and he looks at me and says. "Ok. I see what's wrong. I'll fix it tomorrow."
WHAT? Life Lesson #2. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is urgent in the South. Ever. Not a broken toilet. Not being on time to class. Not the streetcar schedule. Nothing. I've seen ambulances blaring sirens and not speed up. This very well might take some getting used to...
Monday, September 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment